Thursday, February 18, 2016

Winter Reading Bingo

Getting teens to participate in winter reading isn't always easy. Smack in the middle of the school year in the yuckiest months after the holidays and I'm supposed to find a way to encourage teens to read...for fun? I'm supposed to do that all year long, but something about these winter months makes that task a struggle. 

I turned to my trusty pal Pintrest for ideas and came across several versions of Winter Reading Bingo. The best part? No sign ups. No set amount of reading. All teens have to do to is complete a Bingo by doing the activities in that row (or column or diagonally!). And the free space is "Do Your Homework." Other activities include: Read a graphic novel or manga, check out a book on display, read anything for one hour, and watch a movie based on a book. 

Winter Reading at my library lasts from January 11 to March 12 this year, and I'm allowing teens unlimited play for the entire program with only one Bingo per sheet. Each completed sheet becomes their ticket in the prize drawing at the end of the program. The more plays, the more chances! I also give them a piece of candy for each completed sheet. Tootsie rolls make great bribes. 

I made my Bingo sheets in Publisher, then moved and switched the tiles around to create four different sheets so teens weren't stuck with the same things to do or read every time. When the program kicked off this year I was handing a Bingo sheet to every teen as they were hanging out in the department or when they were checking out. Now that we're a month into the program they've been grabbing up a new sheet as soon as they turn one in! I've added link below to one of my Bingo sheets. 

Now let's talk prizes! This is where knowing your teens helps (and sparks intense competition!). I based my prizes off of what my most popular programs tend to be: movies, food, and make up. The Hollywood Pack: popcorn, candy, a soda, & a Hunger Games DVD. The Coffee House Pack: coffee drinks, cookies, a nice journal & pen set, & a book of their choice. The Beauty Pack: Everything for a DIY pedi! I also threw in a gift card for another option.

Winter Bingo Sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words in Deep Blue

Author: Cath Crowley Release Date: June 6, 2017 Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers Pages: 273 Genre: Young Adult,...