Friday, February 19, 2016

Top Five YA Books I Wish Were Movies

Welcome to my very first installment of "Top Five Fridays"! Because who doesn't love a good countdown?!

I love movies almost as much as I love books. So many times after I finish a YA book I find myself wishing someone in Hollywood is already working on the script. Sometimes I get my wish, like with Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, due out later this year (and directed by Tim Burton!! Yes!). Other times I find myself hoping and waiting like with these five here.



#1 The Diviners by Libba Bray

First off, this book reads like a movie! Set in 1926 New York City we meet Evie, exiled from drab Ohio to the city that never sleeps amid speakeasies, show girls, jazz music, and a string of serial killings connected to the occult. Evie's supernatural powers tend to cause trouble, but when they start bringing her closer to the killer she's the city's only hope. Flappers? A serial killer? NYC? The Roaring 20s? And a huge splash the paranormal? Midnight showing please!

Read my book review here!


#2 Until Friday Night by Abbi Glines

I'll never turn down a good romance! West & Maggie are dealing with difficult heartache in private and end up finding a friendship in each other that gradually builds to an explosive romance. Add in great friends, good drama, lovable lead characters, and Friday night football games and this is one I'd curl up to watch with plenty of Kleenex & cookie dough!

Read my book review here!




#3 Rule by Jay Crownover

Ah love stories. 'Tis the season! Jay Crownover is one of my favorite new authors of the past few years as the New Adult genre exploded onto the book scene. A book about a sweet, All-American good girl falling and a rebellious tattoo artist falling for each other against the odds? You had me at tattoo artist. Rule & Shaw's love story was so steamy and passionate that it stuck with me long after I finished the last page. I'd love to see these two (and the rest of the Marked Men) on the big screen! 

Read my book review here!



#4 These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly

Another set in New York City, but this time we're in a good old fashioned murder mystery in the 1890s. Jo Montfort, the daughter of one of the wealthiest businessmen in the city, knows her father was too smart to clean a loaded gun. The more she uncovers with the help of news reporter Eddie, the more she suspects foul play in her father's death. This was a serious page turner that would keep movie goers on the edge of their seats!

Read my book review here!


#5 Looking for Jack Kerouac by Barbara Shoup

If you don't remember the first time you read Jack Kerouac's On the Road...well, you've probably never read it. Talk about a classic that sticks with you. This is a book about a guy who finds that book and the journey he feels compelled to take. It's 1964 and Paul Capetti feels restless with his life after high school in Northern Indiana. When he meets another Kerouac fan at the steel mill where he works, the two take off on a road trip to Florida to meet their hero. Truck drivers, old rock n roll in Nashville, and even mermaids await! I love early 1960s fashion when America still had one foot in the 50s and every girl wanted to dress like Jackie Kennedy. The soundtrack to this movie would be sweet nostalgia for the Baby Boomer generation and just pure wishful thinking for old souls like me! A classic!

Read my book review here!




  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words in Deep Blue

Author: Cath Crowley Release Date: June 6, 2017 Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers Pages: 273 Genre: Young Adult,...