Friday, March 3, 2017

Here We Are: Feminism For The Real World

Edited By: Kelly Jensen
Release Date: January 24, 2017
Publisher: Algonquin Young Readers
Pages: 240
Genre: Nonfiction, Feminism, Essays

Summary

Here We Are is a scrapbook-style teen guide to understanding what it really means to be a feminist. It's packed with essays, lists, poems, comics, and illustrations from a diverse list of voices, including TV, film, and pop-culture celebrities and public figures such as Michaela DePrince and her sister Mia, politician Wendy Davis, as well as popular YA authors like Nova Ren Suma, Malinda Lo, Brandy Colbert, Courtney Summers, and many more. Altogether, the book features more than forty-four pieces, with an eight-page insert of full color pieces. 

Here We Are is a response to lively discussions about the true meaning of feminism on social media and across popular culture and is an invitation to one of the most important, life-changing, and exciting parties around. -Goodreads

The Rundown

I'm not even sure how to do a review on this book justice. 

This

Is

Everything.

Everything I have ranted and raved and lost friends and family on social media (and in real life) over, especially over this last election and the fallout from it. 

I can't even pick a favorite quote or essay easily to give you a blurb because I'd end up just retyping the whole book and you know...copyright laws...illegal. 

I wish I had eighty copies of this in my teen department to give to everyone who popped in that part of the library, but I can't do that either.

What I can do is strongly encourage you to read this book. It's quick and well worth it. I promise. I swear. Cross my heart. It's amazing.

No matter if you are male or female, gay or straight, cis or trans, young or old, single or married, have kids or are on team no thank you, conservative or liberal I promise this book is a valuable read. It sparks conversation and encourages understanding on the very reality of sexism in our everyday lives and this awesome thing called feminism. 

Read. Talk. Share. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words in Deep Blue

Author: Cath Crowley Release Date: June 6, 2017 Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers Pages: 273 Genre: Young Adult,...