Friday, September 2, 2016

Top Five Reasons Why Fall Rocks

Ah fall. The older I get, the more it rivals summer as my favorite season. Let's be real I'm happy as a clam from May through October, but those other months? Cold...snow...rain...cold...cold...cold...no thank you! For my first September Top Five Friday post, let me count down all of the best parts of fall! 

What are do you like about fall? I'd love to know!!


1) Halloween!!!!

I try to hold out until mid-September to start decorating at the library so I don't freak my director out, but the struggle! I was (and still am!) that kid who starts thinking about Halloween as soon at the last firework fades from the 4th of July sky. It's my favorite holiday and I can basically make a two month celebration out of it. My first love, Jack Skellington, gets it!


2) The Movies!!!

While I'm not a fan of new horror (I don't have the stomach for the Saw movies) I grew up on old school slasher flicks. Like to the point that the original 1978 Halloween is more like a comfort movie to me (I'm an odd duck, I know). If it's on TV I watch it. Not on TV? I have the DVD. Not to mention all of the sequels. And the box set of all the Friday the 13th movies. And the all of the Nightmare on Elm Streets. Need something a little more tame? I'm a child of the 90s and we had THE BEST Halloween movies for kids! The Addam's Family, Casper (can I keep you? sigh), Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown, and my all time favorite: The Nightmare Before Christmas!


3) Pumpkin Everything, Everywhere!!!

I love pumpkins! Roasting pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin spice frapps. Pumpkin pie ice cream. Pumpkin pie. Pumpkin smoothies. Pumpkin spice candles. And best of all: carving pumpkins! I've worked out a beautiful system with my dad over the years: I gut 'em & design 'em, he carves 'em. Our Jack & Sally pumpkins from Halloween 2013 were on point!


4) Heading to the Orchard!

Is there really anything better than taking a hayride out to pick your own apples and pumpkins? Only if it's a haunted hayride with a cup of hot apple cider!


5) Passing the Torch

Last year was my daughter Margot's first Halloween (seen here with my friend Kaci at our Halloween party). She's almost two now and is a red head with the personality to match. And with me as her mama I'm already planning a Chucky costume (not the Rugrats Chucky, but the killer doll from Child's Play). I loved letting her pick out her first pumpkin last year and try her first pumpkin pie ice cream and her first apple cider slushie! She sings and claps to The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack and loves watching Mickey's House of Villains. I just love getting to share my favorite holiday and season with my mini me!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Words in Deep Blue

Author: Cath Crowley Release Date: June 6, 2017 Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers Pages: 273 Genre: Young Adult,...