Thursday, June 2, 2016

Get Out & Read Summer Challenge

As we're now less than a week from Summer Reading Kickoff at my library, I thought I'd share something new I'm trying this summer. In the past I'd always had kind of a ho-hum SRP. I serve a medium sized library in Central Indiana, so getting around 30 teens signed up each summer seemed great to me until I realized it was kind of boring. Okay it was a lot of boring. Teens could pick up a small prize each week as long as they'd read a new novel. Once they read 7 novels, they got a ticket in the drawing for the big prize (usually a gift card) and a free book. I don't know who came up with the number 7. I don't know who came up with the once a week thing either. It was just how we'd always done it and boy am I ready for a shake up! 

I decided to play off a summer bucket list style this summer. There's all sorts of easy, fun, free activities that teens can do here in our community or anywhere! Examples include: attending a library program, reading anything for an hour, finishing a book, and visiting any park. 

If teens complete any 10 activities, they get a grab bag prize and a free book. If they complete any 25 activities, they get an invitation to the End of Summer Reading Bash and a ticket in the big prize drawing. If they complete all 50, they get another free book and 5 tickets into the big prize drawing. This could flop. Or I could be starting a way more fun SRP this year! I can't wait to get some feed back from my Teen Advisory Group this fall! 

To see my Get Out & Read Summer Challenge sheet, click here. Feel free to borrow or tweak to make it work for your library!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words in Deep Blue

Author: Cath Crowley Release Date: June 6, 2017 Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers Pages: 273 Genre: Young Adult,...