Friday, June 10, 2016

Breathe

Author: Abbi Glines
Release Date: June 4, 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 333
Genre: Young Adult, New Adult, Contemporary, Romance

Summary

Sadie White's summer job is at the beach, but she won't be working as a lifeguard. Since her mom is pregnant and refuses to work, Sadie will be taking over as a domestic servant for a wealthy family on a nearby island.

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie were normal--if she hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house--maybe she'd be excited about working for a rock star. But she's not. 

Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax, but he fights his attraction: Relationships never work in his world, and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. Yet as the summer stretches on, Jax's passion leaves him breathless--and Sadie feels like the only source of oxygen.

Can their love overcome their lifestyles? One breath at a time, they're going to find out.

The Rundown

I love a good, steamy romance. Who doesn't? I loved Until Friday Night by Abbi Glines when I read it last fall, so when I stumbled upon her earlier YA/NA Sea Breeze series, I figured I'd be hooked.

Sadly, I was wrong.

This is the part of reviewing that I don't like: when you've loved an author's book and grab another one by them only to be less than thrilled. 

Don't worry, when the sequel to Until Friday Night comes out in August, I'll be sitting on ready to read it!

But Breathe...hmm.

Okay, now I read the description thinking, "Alright, I can get into this sexy spin on Cinderella you're throwing out." I can be down for a hot rags-to-riches love story.

Breathe was just so far out there for me that I couldn't even finish it. I gave it a solid three chapters before I was starting to get a twitch from rolling my eyes. I skimmed the middle. I made sure the end was what I imagined. And saved myself around 300 pages of barely realistic nonsense and flat characters.

Bummer. 

But wait! There's hope! The Sea Breeze series has a total of nine books, so there has to be something there for it to have kept up even if I personally couldn't get into the first book. Abbi Glines writes truly wonderful contemporary fiction and walks that line between YA & NA beautifully, but this one just wasn't my thing.

Rating: 2 Stars. Meh, not for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words in Deep Blue

Author: Cath Crowley Release Date: June 6, 2017 Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers Pages: 273 Genre: Young Adult,...