Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The Lovely Reckless

Author: Kami Garcia
Release Date: October 4, 2016
Publisher: Imprint
Pages: 384
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary Romance

Summary

Seventeen-year-old Frankie Devereaux would do anything to forget the past. Haunted by the memory of her boyfriend's death, she lives her life by one dangerous rule: Nothing matters. At least, that's what Frankie tells herself after a reckless mistake forces her to leave her privileged life in the Heights to move in with her dad--an undercover cop. She transfers to a public high school in the Downs, where fistfights don't faze anyone and illegal street racing is more popular than football. 

Marco Leone is the fastest street racer in the Downs. Tough, sexy, and hypnotic, he makes it impossible for Frankie to ignore him--and how he makes her feel. But the risks Marco takes for his family could have devastating consequences on them both. When Frankie discovers his secret, she has to make a choice. Will she let the pain of the past determine her future? Or will she risk what little she has left to follow her heart? --Goodreads

The Rundown

I've been reading a ton of New Adult lately and I had to remind myself to shift gears to give this book a fair shake. Things are just a lot more...there are just so many intense feelings when you're a teenager. 

First off, props to Frankie's character that this wasn't another #richwhitegirlwithfirstworldproblems book. She recognizes the advantages she's had by living a privileged life, but recognizes the ugly side of it too. The detachment, the extravagance...it's all too much, especially when she makes friends with kids at her new high school who struggle to help their family make rent or buy groceries. 

I struggled with Marco and Frankie's romance for most of the book. Like I said, I had to remind myself a lot about how big feelings feel when you're seventeen. I'm a romantic and love at first sight is always a sigh worthy thing, but at times this seemed like a bit much. Once I gave myself over the story and stopped shaking my head going "Oh kids really?" I was able to get more into it. 

Between Marco and Frankie's hot and heavy romance, the street racing, the inside look at auto theft rings and the lawmen trying to catch them, and the "parent's just don't understand" vibe, I could totally see this going to the big screen and being a huge PG-13 hit. I promise I'm not making fun at all, quite the opposite. While I didn't think this book was profoundly deep or anything, it was a ton of fun. And who doesn't enjoy a good, fun ride of a book once in a while?

Rating: 3/5 stars. Not earth shattering, but entertaining nonetheless!     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words in Deep Blue

Author: Cath Crowley Release Date: June 6, 2017 Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers Pages: 273 Genre: Young Adult,...