Friday, December 16, 2016

Top Five Favorite YA Books of 2016

via GIPHY

2016 was an amazing year in YA. Historical fiction and quirky contemporary romances galore! Here are my top five favorite teen reads of the year! What were your favorites? Comment below!


1) Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

I talked about this book to anyone who would listen to me. Seriously. My teens. My coworkers. My high school English teacher. Everyone heard me gab about this book. Why? First off, when it comes to historical fiction, you had me at World War Two. This story was everything. Beautiful, tragic, poetic, hopeful, dark...I just couldn't even when I finished. I wept at the end. Even if historical fiction isn't your thing give this one a go anyway. This is a story for all readers and one that will stay with you long after you put it down. 

Click here for my review!

2) Every Exquisite Thing by Matthew Quick

When I read this one back in the spring I remember finishing and going, "Wow. This was exactly what I needed right now." Beautiful literature here guys, and if you're a note taker while reading, be prepared to fill your journal with thought provoking quotes. I could go on and on, but check out my review here and pick this one up today!


3) Front Lines by Michael Grant (Soldier Girl #1)

If you've followed my blog this year, you've caught on that I have a thing for World War Two books. Blame my fourth grade teacher for handing me a copy of Number the Stars by Lois Lowry twenty years ago. This is WWII with a twist: women are eligible for the draft and able to fight and hold positions equally alongside men. I didn't feel that it took away from the history or that it gave the novel a fantasy vibe. This is a WWII book: gritty, real, and honest from boot camp to the deserts of North Africa. Pick this one up soon so you're ready for the sequel, Silver Stars, on January 31, 2017!

Click here to read my review!


4) The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Jennifer L. Armentrout. J.Lynn. Whatever she writes, I read. Period. I had such major book hangover with this one because it was just so good. Don't write this off as another teen romance. Armentrout explores the lasting scars of child abuse and flaws in our foster care system. Mallory has a quiet and sure strength that makes you cheer for her throughout the book, while Rider is a swoon worthy artist that wrestles with rising above what the world has dealt him. A must read for contemporary fans! 

Click here for my review!


5) The Romantics by Leah Konen

Every other book on my list this year had pretty serious themes going on, but are you just looking for a good warm hug of a book? This is the story for you! I laughed and laughed and laughed and loved every minute of this. Seriously if you're a fan of a quality rom com, you won't regret grabbing this one today! I had a blast reading this!

Click here for my review!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Words in Deep Blue

Author: Cath Crowley Release Date: June 6, 2017 Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers Pages: 273 Genre: Young Adult,...