Friday, March 18, 2016

Top Five Favorite 90s Movies

I love blogging about books and authors, but I never say no to a good movie! I'm a 90s kid through and through and my gosh did we have some great movies! It's always fun when I get to do a movie program with my teens at the library (It's part of my job to pop popcorn and put my feet up? Seriously?!). Every once in a while, I use movie programs to selfishly get a little dose of nostalgia and introduce my teens to the classics.

Here are my top five favorite 90s movies! What are some of yours? I'd love to hear!


1) Dazed and Confused (1993)


Okay, if you know this one know it's definitely not one I can show at the library (it's rated R), but it doesn't stop it from being one of my all time favorite movies. I love comedies, and no matter how many times I watch this movie, I still crack up. Set on the last day of high school in Texas in 1976 (yes, a 90s movie set in the 70s) complete with all the mischief, partying, and one of the best soundtracks ever. Not to mention a young Matthew McConaughey, Ben Affleck, and Jason London!

Favorite Line: "You just gotta keep on livin man. L-I-V-I-N." (really anything Matthew McConaughey's character says is pure gold!)


2) A League of Their Own (1992)


Another 90s move set not in the 90s. During World War Two, pro baseball was in danger of being shut down for the duration of the war until a team owner's promotional manager had the idea of starting a league of women's pro baseball teams. The movie follows two sisters on their journey from Oregon to being the first women inducted into the hall of fame, along with their teammates and managers fifty years later. Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Madonna, and Rosie O'Donnell make up a great cast. Confession: I cry every time I watch this movie. Usually at least three times. But I laugh even more! I love this movie!

Favorite Line: "There's no crying in baseball!"


3) The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)


Halloween will always be my favorite holiday. I don't even know how to begin to fangirl about this movie. The music? (If you haven't heard Marilyn Manson's cover of "This is Halloween" look it up!) The amazing sets? The stop animation? The characters? Jack, The Pumpkin King. Sally. Zero. Sandy Claws. Lock, Shock, & Barrel. Oogie Boogie. This was my childhood. From Halloween to Christmas, this was my movie! And then during my teen years it was immortalized in the Blink 182 song I Miss You: "We can live like Jack and Sally if we want. Where you can always find me. We'll have Halloween on Christmas. And in the night we'll wish this never ends."

Favorite Line: "My dearest friend, if you don't mind I'd like to join you by your side. Where we can gaze into the stars. And sit together, now and forever. For it is plain as anyone can see, we're simply meant to be."


4) Casper (1995)


It doesn't have to be autumn for me to watch a Halloween movie. Ever! How can you not love Casper?! It has the coolest set ever (except for The Addam's Family's house!), a lovable father daughter duo, three mischievous ghosts, and the endearing Casper. Friendship, first love, and everlasting love all play out in this feel good movie about a lonely ghost who just wants a friend. And what every 90s girl remembers most: Devon Sawa (as human Casper) walking down the stairs to dance with Kat. I had Devon Sawa posters everywhere for years after that (Thanks Tiger Beat!)

Favorite Line: "Can I keep you?"  

5) Romeo + Juliet (1996)


There's a reason why this work of Shakespeare has stood the test of time. It's beautiful. It's poetry. It's passion. This movie is just brilliant. Keep the play intact, but give it a modern setting and the best soundtrack of all time? Oh and throw in a pre-Titanic Leo? Yes. Please. Grab the tissues and the cookie dough for this one! 

Favorite Line: "Did my heart love 'til now? Forswear its sight. For I never saw true beauty 'til this night."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words in Deep Blue

Author: Cath Crowley Release Date: June 6, 2017 Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers Pages: 273 Genre: Young Adult,...