Friday, October 14, 2016

Top Five Spooky YA Reads

     Nick and I had a Halloween 1 & 2 marathon the past two nights. The good John Carpenter ones. Don't even get me started on that Rob Zombie mess. Even though these movies have gone beyond scaring me for days like they did when I was a teenager to being just downright comforting this time of year, I still get a little tense when I see Michael Myers's face slowly come out of the shadows. And the way he cocks his head? Shudders. 

     Anyway, maybe scary movies aren't your thing, but you're looking for a good spooky read to get you in the mood for the Halloween season. Here are my top five YA spooky reads to get the party started!



Yes, I could probably find a way to work this book into just about any top five list. But guys it's seriously that good! The first time I ever read this one I still lived by myself and some scenes had me flipping every light on in my apartment! 1920s NYC with an otherworldly serial killer on the loose? Yes please!



This paranormal thriller set in modern London sees boarding school student Rory attempting to track down the man she believes is the culprit behind a recent string of serial killings...killings copying those of Jack the Ripper. How can Rory catch a man it seems only she can see? This one is a read during the day it's so creepy page turner!



What do you do when you find out that your the college prep boarding school in New England that you just started at used to an asylum for the criminally insane? Explore. When Dan finds out that his ending up there along with his new friends Abby and Jordan wasn't a coincidence, the thrilling and creepy ride begins. If you liked the way old photographs were blended into Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, grab this one today! 



This book will have you seriously rethinking every time you played Bloody Mary at a sleepover as a kid. It's one that has a little bit of everything: ghosts, horror, and a retelling of the legend we all thought we knew. Seriously spooky!



Another retelling of Jack the Ripper, but who gets tired of those? I think the thrill behind those killings so long ago on the gas lit streets of London give us all a chill because we still don't know (despite hundreds of theories) who Jack the Ripper really was. As the ghosts of the Ripper victims haunt Evelyn's dreams her nightmares become reality when she sets to solve the mystery. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Words in Deep Blue

Author: Cath Crowley Release Date: June 6, 2017 Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers Pages: 273 Genre: Young Adult,...